Serving Iowans Holistically
Acupuncture is one of our clinic's most popular treatments, and also its most unique. As such, please observe the following guidelines when receiving treatment:
1. It is best to wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes. During a treatment we might need to access various parts of your body, usually your arms, legs, and back. If you are coming from work, we have hangers for your business clothes and we can provide you with a cover during your treatment.
2. Be sure to eat something during the mealtime prior to your visit. It is very important to have nourishment in your system during an acupuncture treatment. Acupuncture utilizes your body's energy much like an exercise session would; if your blood sugar is low, you will not respond as quickly to the acupuncture treatments. Please ask for a snack if you need one.
3. Allow plenty of time for your visit. You will need to spend about 1½ to 2 hours at the clinic during your initial visit. This time allows you to complete initial patient paperwork and allows us to ask many questions, obtain an accurate diagnosis of your condition, and give you an acupuncture treatment. Most of your return visits will last about 1 hour to 1½ hours. Please let us know if you require a quicker treatment.
4. The practice of acupuncture is a licensed medical specialty in the State of Iowa. As such, it is regulated by the Iowa Board of Medicine at 400 SW 8th St Suite C, Des Moines, Iowa 50309-4686, phone: 515-281-5171. The medical board requires us to state the following:
The practice of acupuncture in Iowa does not authorize a person to practice medicine and surgery in this state, and the services of an acupuncturist must not be regarded as diagnosis and treatment by a person licensed to practice medicine and must not be regarded as medical opinion or advice.
5. Elizabeth and William Terrell, L. Ac., MSOM practice acupuncture according to Oriental Medical theory. Please feel free to ask for your diagnosis.
6. The iowa acupuncture clinic exclusively uses sterile, disposable, single-use acupuncture needles.
7. If you have any questions or concerns before, during, or after your acupuncture treatment, please call our clinic at 515.331.8948.
2019 Iowa Acupuncture Clinic